What is a Flounce Dress?

As designers or fashion lovers we need to be familiar with fashion terms to better express ourselves to our tailors ,customers or designers.

Many times we find ourselves caught in between words trying to explain what we have in mind.

I will be explaining some fashion terminologies here on my blog from time to time to increase our general knowledge of fashion terms.

According to Wikipedia ,The term flounce is a particular type of fabric manipulation that creates a similar look like ruffles or frills but with less bulk. The term derives from earlier terms of frounce or fronce. A wavy effect is achieved without gathers or pleats by cutting a curved strip of fabric and applying the inner or shorter edge to the garment. The depth of the curve as well as the width of the fabric determines the depth of the flounce .flounces remained a fashionable form of trim, off-and-on into modern times. So in a lame man’s language it is another word for flare. It can be added to any part of a dress.

So the next time you visit your designer be sure to use the term fronce to explain such styles as seen in the pictures below

Published by Style with Ufuoma Omoluru

Am a wife,mum,fashion stylist and mentor ,enterpreneur and blogger. Love life and family!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: